Before I get to the meat and potatoes of this post, let’s take a minute to wish Dan a Happy Father’s Day. Because he’s a father and he deserves it. I mean, the dude changes the dirty diapers, took the lead on potty training Joshua, makes me coffee, lets me sleep in on the weekends. And he’s a pretty mean grill master. He’s deserving. I promise.
Happy Father’s Day, Dan. Thanks for being a great dad to our kids.
(Kids! Plural! OMG! This still blows my mind.)
Katie over at Sluiter Nation has a little series she calls “Bloggers That Make Me Go BOOM!” The idea is to spread the blogging love around a little bit by highlighting posts from the week that stood out to her in some way. I really like this idea because y’all, I read a lot of blogs. Your words? I love them. But I can’t always get by to tell you that I love them. But I’m trying to be better. And this is one way that I can be better.
So, each week(ish), I hope, I’m going to try to highlight a few of the posts that I loved from that week.
Here goes Round One:
1. Suzanne from Bebehblog wrote herself a letter for the bad days. I don’t know about y’all, but sometimes it feels like my favorite kind of party is a pity party. For myself. I get anxious and down sometimes and have bad days, but overall, my life is a pretty good one. I need to do more to remember that.
2. Allison from O My Family wrote a post about making assumptions about the people we’re with. (You know what they say about ASSuming, right? Right.) Sometimes we judge books by their covers, and are judged by our covers as well. And often what’s inside those covers is really different from what’s on the outside. Allison’s post reminds us that we can never know exactly what our present company does unless we actually know.
3. ZDub posted a recipe on Raising Colorado for Roasted Garbanzo Beans. In case y’all didn’t know, I have a picky eater in my house. But recently, Joshua’s trying a few new things here and there. If I can convince Joshua that these are peanuts, I might just be able to get him to eat them. Ingredients (basically a can of beans) are on my shopping list for this week.
4. Jenn, aka TheNextMartha, almost never writes on her blog because she prefers Twitter. But she should write more often. This week she wrote about what it’s like to be the child of a parent with mental illness. I…y’all. This post resonated with me. I worry so, so much about what my battle with PPD/A will do for Joshua and about the fact that mental illness is a part of my life. I know how cyclical depression is for me, so I have no thoughts that I’ll never find myself fighting that battle again. I wonder what it will do to them, you know?
5. Finally, I’ve got to give love to the girl who started this. My blogging bestie, Katie. She wrote a post about the beauty she’s found among her perceived flaws. When she talks about her post-baby body, I’m all nodding my head in agreement with every word. Because YES ME AND MY STRETCHMARKS TOO. But her words about how much she’s loving being a mom after everything she’s gone through gets me all happy inside because yes. Me and my Mama heart, too. Even on the bad days.
So, that’s a snippet of what I read this week. Go read them and love on them. What did YOU read this week?